Monday, August 22, 2005

Who you calling a fellow!


No, it's not a mirage - I'm actually posting something DURING THE WEEK! Ooooh! Unlike Erik, I actually went to something interesting this evening, so I thought I would share it. Oh, and I apologize for the crappy graphic. Best I could do. Anyway, since the first week of June, the Old York Historical Society has had four fellows, who are essentially interns except they actually live in one of the old buildings and do more indepth research. It's apparently one of the most prestigious fellowship programs around. Anyway, they had their symposium tonight in the old boathouse along the York River - gorgeous, gorgeous area, right next to the Elizabeth Perkins House, who was the founder of the Society. They presented their research and it was TOTALLY everything I learned through my classes at Tufts, so it was nice to see actual classwork being applied to a real life museum. In fact, one of the fellows just completed her certificate at Tufts, just like I did.

To sum it up (and if this is boring, too bad), one of the fellows developed an outreach program with York Middle School that brings the museum to the classroom, and it's apparently going to be implemented next school year. Another fellow made two of the buildings more "family friendly" to get kids involved in the more decorative buildings where the temptation to touch is very high, and where the adult tours are enough to put kids asleep. The other two fellows developed new signage and graphics for the Old Gaol (yes, that's spelled correctly) to make the building more interactive and draw visitors into the rooms that are rarely visited due to poor signage and lack of interest. I thought it was very interesting, and makes me almost want to go back to school again! Afterwards there was a small reception at the Elizabeth Perkins House.

Elizabeth Perkins House

No comments:

Post a Comment