Tuesday, January 31, 2006

An Apology

As some of you may have noticed, a previous blog about me getting a job at Victoria Mansion has been pulled. That's because it came to my attention that I had been led to believe that I had the position, when I did not. The position ended up going to someone who use to have the job, has some time between now and when he starts his Ph.D program. So of course they rewarded him for his past efforts by giving him his old job back. As someone pointed out, you should never think you have a job until you have it in writing. I guess she was right. But given my past experiences, I have always been offered jobs over the phone or in person, without having signed anything until way after the fact. Call me naive that this job was mine I guess. I feel betrayed, but what can I do. They have offered me an on-call position, meaning I would do the job they originally offered me but on an on-call basis, but I haven't decided what I should do. One year from now Old York will be over, and I will have half a job at Maine Preservation. If this guy does indeed go on to his Ph.D program, then I was told that the job would be mine (again, in my mind). While I'm not going to bank on that, the appeal is definitely there. I have some thinking to do. Several people have told me to find out how much they are willing to pay me for "on-call" and then make my decision from there. We shall see. But I am sorry for misleading people into thinking I had the job.

2 comments:

  1. No need to apologize. The news certainly blows, but it's not your fault :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Not your fault. But that blows that they jerk you around like that. I've had the same treatment...I think it is endemic to the non profit/creative field. Things are not as cut and dry as they are in corporate or academic worlds.

    ReplyDelete