Monday, September 11, 2006

Turn Your Head and Cough

Life is - interesting? Erik and I went hiking at Grafton Notch State Park (near Sunday River) Labor Day weekend. Some of you, especially those in New England, may know that area from recent news reports on the four people who were murdered up that way (the same weekend we were there ironically enough.) It was the first time we had been hiking in about 2 years. We took advantage of the fact that we actually had a day off together to do something that we like to do. Well, I have always had issues with altitude changes, no matter how subtle, so I of course huffed and puffed my way up and down the mountain, but I managed to do it with no problem. The two days following the hike I went to the gym, and noticed that my breathing wasn't as controlled as it usually is, and I ended up not finishing a good chunk of my workout both days. That night, after the second day at the gym, I noticed that my chest was still tight from my workout, a good 6 hours after I had gotten home from the gym. I decided that the next day I would call my PCP and make an appointment, just to make sure I was fine.

Well, my PCP wouldn't take me. They told me do not pass go, do not collect $200 dollars, go straight to the ER. I was hesitant because I really didn't feel like I was going to have a heart attack or anything, but Erik convinced me to go. So I spent 6 hours of my life in the ER. They took x-rays of my chest, took blood, did a CAT scan, couldn't find anything wrong with me. I guess my oxygen levels did dip at one point, but that still didn't help them explain what was going on. I was then recommended to see a cardiologist, which I did two days later. They did an echocardiogram, and on first glance, could not find anything alarming. In typical fashion, the ER didn't order all of the tests that the cardiologist needed, so now I have to go back to have a stress test and have bubbles injected into my blood (weird).

Why do I never get anything common or normal? I mean, some of you will remember the weird spot on my eye. While they think they know what it was (sort of), they still don't know what caused it.

In other news, I started my Management in the Non-profit Sector class. The professor is a bit...dry. I'm not sure if I like the class or not, but I didn't really get much of a chance to make that decision. First day of class, the fire alarm goes off about an hour into the class. Since the firemen couldn't figure out what the problem was, they couldn't let us back into the building, so class was over for for the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment